Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Specialized Vehicles for Field Studies in Geology

A month ago I was asking for some ideas about a possible mobile field laboratory for our geology field studies program, and through various avenues I received some really great suggestions. Well, a month has passed and I've been doing lots of thinking and planning, and today I took a road trip to see the factory where custom vans are constructed. It was a fascinating visit, and I got to see a number of different configurations.

At the last moment, we walked past the van that would be the ultimate field lab....such innovation! It was a specialized import from Europe, a no-nonsense vehicle with such a compact modern hi-tech engine that it can be barely be located in the vehicle: it dispenses with a water-based radiator system (with all that poisonous ethylene glycol), and uses simple air instead for cooling. The small engine makes for lots of luggage space in the vehicle. The simple box-like construction allows a flat surface for the installation of solar cells. And the gas mileage! In the mid 20's mpg, almost twice what the other vans get.

The salesman did a great job of convincing me that this particular van would be the ultimate field laboratory. Yeah, he was a great salesman...


Of course, as I understand it, your first line of defense in the event of a head-on collision would be your knees...

Okay, I'm kidding. But I did see a vehicle that made me drool a bit: 4x4 van with lots of great storage in back and on top, a canopy, an external tool box, and it just plain looked cool. The planning and designing continues...thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

6 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Give me the VW.

Silver Fox said...

The second van looks pretty cool - is the top part a pop-up? Otherwise it would be a bit top-heavy on side-hilly roads.

The VW bus will go almost anywhere a 4WD will go (and some places that full-sized trucks won't), and would need modification to the air-cooled engine to survive in CA and NV summers. These modifications are relatively well-known and fairly easy to make. They will not go much faster than 50-55 mph, if I remember right... (especially uphill, when that number drops).

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! There is no way I would even take a ride in any of these! This is a little over the top! haha! What ever happened to the normal everyday camper? That would work too!

David West said...

I don't know Garry. I told you I was ready to leave with my 4wd clubcab dodge cummins 3/4 ton with cabover camper. Now you switched to the vehicles in my backyard. How about my 67' deluxe 13 window VW combi, or MaryBeth's 74' VW Westfalia Poptop camper. The first trip for the Westfalia was down to Bahia de los Angelas, Baja Norte, MX and back towing my sunfish sailboat.

Garry Hayes said...

Well, gee, I forgot how much people loved those things...for the record my first car was a VW bug, '63 or '64 model year.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I also am a geologist, and also I look for the perfect vehicle for field. Little electronics, simple of repairing, little consume, habitable, with capacity of load...

Later to the VW that you put, one t2 of road, there exists the VW T3 Syncro (4x4).

I leave a video you for if you did not know her. The consumption is from 10 to 14 l/100km.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX1iiqgkILQ

If it is necessary load more at some time, is added a tow, which it is possible to leave in the camp with the shops, kitchen, water...instead of taking always a very big and heavy vehicle