Monday, April 26, 2010

The Revival of Professor Incognito!

It's the end of a long semester, and finals week looms! I've been swimming through a massive pile of laboratory manuals and quizzes for the last four days, and for a few glorious hours I am caught up with the grading. It seems an appropriate time to revive a character who appeared on this blog last year about this time. Professor Incognito is the creation of Zeo at, a comic artist whom I admire greatly. Although I am related to the artist, she refuses to reveal the inspiration for her professor character. I certainly know it couldn't be me. I mean, I would NEVER say things like this...well...almost never.

Anyway, I must say that thus far my students have exhibited a great deal of restraint in terms of begging for a passing grade. They mostly seem to know where they stand. But with finals coming up, I figure it can't hurt to clue them in as to what might happen if they try to con a grade they don't deserve. After all, they are ALL reading this blog, because I told them at the beginning of the semester that it would be fun and interesting to read. And who ever ignores advice from a professor? Especially my fine students, and in all seriousness, I have some stellar students this year. It has been such a pleasure working with them

Oh, and for those thinking about a geology class in the fall? I welcome you! I welcome you all! Up to the limits being imposed on us all by the rationing of education by the state of California. If you make it into a class, by golly make it count! Don't be the other incognito character below...


Gaelyn said...

I'd love to be one of your students. Hope they know how lucky they are.

Anonymous said...

Garry is a great professor to have, I always enjoyed his class/ lecture. It helps that he has a passion for geology and it comes through in his teaching.

Doug N