Monday, April 26, 2010

The Revival of Professor Incognito!

It's the end of a long semester, and finals week looms! I've been swimming through a massive pile of laboratory manuals and quizzes for the last four days, and for a few glorious hours I am caught up with the grading. It seems an appropriate time to revive a character who appeared on this blog last year about this time. Professor Incognito is the creation of Zeo at ranthour.com, a comic artist whom I admire greatly. Although I am related to the artist, she refuses to reveal the inspiration for her professor character. I certainly know it couldn't be me. I mean, I would NEVER say things like this...well...almost never.

Anyway, I must say that thus far my students have exhibited a great deal of restraint in terms of begging for a passing grade. They mostly seem to know where they stand. But with finals coming up, I figure it can't hurt to clue them in as to what might happen if they try to con a grade they don't deserve. After all, they are ALL reading this blog, because I told them at the beginning of the semester that it would be fun and interesting to read. And who ever ignores advice from a professor? Especially my fine students, and in all seriousness, I have some stellar students this year. It has been such a pleasure working with them

Oh, and for those thinking about a geology class in the fall? I welcome you! I welcome you all! Up to the limits being imposed on us all by the rationing of education by the state of California. If you make it into a class, by golly make it count! Don't be the other incognito character below...

2 comments:

Gaelyn said...

I'd love to be one of your students. Hope they know how lucky they are.

Anonymous said...

Garry is a great professor to have, I always enjoyed his class/ lecture. It helps that he has a passion for geology and it comes through in his teaching.

Doug N