Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hope your National Fossil Day was Great!

I wasn't able to comment earlier in the day, so in these last seconds of National Fossil Day, I hope you had a nice one! I am especially impressed with the logo for this year, as it includes a mosasaur, a ferocious late Cretaceous creature that once swam in the seas that existed right here in California's Central Valley when it was still a shallow forearc basin between the Sierra Nevada magmatic arc and a massive subduction zone. Mosasaurs were reptiles that were broadly similar to Komodo dragons which adapted to a seagoing life. The largest exceeded 30 feet in length. I suspect they made sharks nervous...

2 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Certainly a nice logo.

If I'd been working yesterday I'd have lead a fossil walk. Maybe next year. But now the season is almost over.

Karen said...

Definitely a nice logo. I have to admit, though, I have a soft spot in my heart for invertebrate fossils.