Sunday, November 24, 2013

Need Geo-Pictures for that End of Semester Project? Check out Geotripper Images!

Active basalt lava flow at Kalapana on the Big Island of Hawai'i
Every so often I want to remind you all that I have collected a lot of my geology-themed photographs over at Geotripper Images (http://geotripperimages.com/). The pictures are available for free use in educational projects, either in student reports or by teachers in powerpoint presentations and the like. I would love to know that you've used a picture or two, and would even accept a tip, but the purpose is to be a resource. My only restrictions are if the photos are to be used in a profit-making enterprise, such as textbook photos or ads. Please contact me if you are interested in such uses.
Aerial view of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams in Washington State
My whole reason for starting the Geotripper Blog six years ago was in part to make use of my burgeoning collection of geology-themed photographs taken during my journeys, and to telling the mostly geological stories of those journeys. After a few years, I realized the photos needed to be organized a bit more, so Geotripper Images resulted. A little research revealed that there are several other great geology photo sources on the net, so I linked to them in one of the boxes in the right column of the blog. Between Images and these other sites, you should be able to find pictures you need to finish that term paper on volcanoes, earthquakes and other earth science topics.
Saskatchawan Glacier in Banff and Jasper National Parks, Alberta, Canada
We've accumulated a few pictures of living creatures, so don't forget to check for animals that you might need. My work schedule means that additions are sporadic, but I'm intending to add a lot of shots in coming weeks as the semester winds down.
A normal fault in Mosaic Canyon, Death Valley National Park, CA
Writing this blog post reminds me of how lucky I have been to be able to explore as much of the world as I have. It's been a blessing, and I hope you enjoy the stories and the views. I also hope that you are encouraged to get out and explore a little more of the Earth that we live on. It is a fascinating place!

Have a good Thanksgiving holiday!

No comments: