Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Home from the Road: A Tuesday Mystery Photo...

I am back home from a delightful field studies class with fifteen excellent students, having spent four days exploring the eastern Sierra Nevada, the Owens Valley and the White Mountains. It was strange to be so out of touch with cyber-space, but it was also so nice to be away from the normal craziness of school!

Here are two shots from different angles of one of my new discoveries. A brownie point for explaining the origin of these rocks, and a few more for figuring out where they are, and the geological processes that have directly altered the outcrop.
It's not that mysterious. If you think you know where it is, you are probably right!

7 comments:

Ron Schott said...

I'm guessing that's Devils Postpile NM. I'm guessing because it's been snowed in every time I've tried to visit, so I've never seen it in person.

In any case, it will come as no surprise to the geologists reading this post that those are polygonal joint surfaces formed as the basalt cools and contracts.

Anonymous said...

Devils postpile off 395 south east of yosemite?
Doug n

Silver Fox said...

I would guess Devil's Postpile, also, but I don't think I've seen it from that particular angle.

Silver Fox said...

NM in this case = National Monument, not New Mexico!

jrepka said...

I was there just a week ago. But your pictures were take down the trail from the main outcrop. Beautiful site!

Dave said...

I agree with all above, columnar basalt in Devils Postpile of hwy 395, near Mammoth. I've never seen these angles/exposures before, they look great. I'll have to do some off-trail hiking next time I'm in the area.

Gaelyn said...

Nice angled columnar basalt, but don't know where it its.