Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blogging in the Field

Light blogging, as I am in the field with students this week, in the California and Oregon Cascades. Very nice trip thus far with stops in Crater Lake National Park (above), Lava Beds National Monument, Mt. Shasta, Castle Crags State Park, and tomorrow, Lassen Volcanic National Park. No eruptions, but lots of nice pyroclastic debris from past events.

Times have certainly changed though, as I am sitting on a folding chair overlooking McArthur Burney Falls in the middle of nowhere, and I have an internet connection! In the old days of field studies, to communicate with the home folks, I used to write these things called "letters" and "postcards", and people were paid to personally take these handwritten notes and to deliver them to the door of the recipient...

3 comments:

Gaelyn said...

What, you're not going to Oregon Caves? Sounds like a grand trip, wish I was on your field trip. Great capture, plus very cool to connect in the middle of nowhere.

Roy said...

Sounds like a tremendous trip - I'm guessing igneous-themed?

Garry Hayes said...

Hi, Gaelyn! Oregon Caves just didn't fit into the itinerary, though I would love to see them sometime. We did spend time crawling through lava tubes at Lava Beds National Monument. Roy-Z, definitely igneous themed! All you wanted to know about volcanoes but were afraid to ask!