Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Picture of the Day - The Airliner Chronicles

Back to geological beauty from above. My flight in 2005 over Greenland was a stunner; glaciers are beautiful examples of erosion in action, and Greenland is a giant open-air observatory for studying and quantifying climate change. Greenland is one of those places I truly hope to one day see from ground level. It is very high on my geologist's life list. The sights from a plane are incredible, but there is still an isolation factor. A plane window is kind of like a television...you have little control over the content. You can change the channel (look out the other side of the plane), but there is no feeling for the air temperature, the odors, the sounds, and it passes by too quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terrific photo -- I'm becoming a big fan of airplane window photos, and have a few of my own (and want more!) As for places I'm keen to visit for purely geological reasons, I've recently added Huashan.