Monday, October 14, 2024

A Second Look at Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS)!

I had my first look at Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) last night, but my timing sucked, as I didn't locate it until it was close to the horizon and practically lost in the afterglow of the sunset. Tonight I was a bit better prepared, and the comet itself was higher in the sky. It was a beautiful sight, and the finest I've seen since 1997.
My phone is new and I've had little time to learn what it is capable of, but I was pleased with what I got tonight. I was focusing between 1x to as high as 6x magnification. I was also just able to see the comet with the naked eye, but it wasn't obvious.
Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) is getting higher in the western sky each night for the next few weeks, but it will also be growing dimmer as it gets farther from the sun. Get out and see it this week if you can, but if you can't, enjoy these pictures!





No comments: