Thursday, May 19, 2016

Airliner Chronicles: Finding Fault by Flying

Flying can be no fun whatsoever, what with the lines, the waits, the security checks, surly attendants, and the tarmac delays. It would be intolerable were it not for window seats. So while I'm in connecting flight limbo, here is a sight from my flight between Oakland and LAX today. We generally flew right over the San Andreas fault for most of the flight, but in Southern California, the fault takes a more southeasterly trend and it suddenly appeared below me. This section of the San Andreas is just west of Gorman at the summit of the Grapevine, the point where Interstate 5 crosses the Transverse Ranges on the way into Los Angeles.

The "Airliner Chronicles" is a throwback to the very first blog series I did way back when. I don't fly all that often, but if there is good geology below, you can be sure that I'm trying to capture it in pictures.

No comments: