Monday, September 15, 2008

Blogging A Bit of Rock Art...

Took a brief foray into the Franciscan Complex and Salinian Block this last week...normal people call the region Big Sur, and there can hardly be a more spectacular coastal stretch anywhere (I know there is a lot of competition, though; I'd love to see your favorite photos). I came across a delicate bit of coastal rock art I thought I'd share.

I thought of providing a bit of artistic critiquing, but mostly I simply enjoyed the fragile balancing act, and I pass it on to you. The larger balanced boulder is a chunk of Salinian granite sitting on a much larger boulder of Franciscan chert. The small disk-shaped topper may be a little chunk of graywacke. I appreciated the artist's juxtaposition of the major elements of the local geological relationships.